Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Market Day

Walked through the giant market here in town. My god, I don't know how to describe it. Frightening I guess is pretty accurate. Definitely overwhelming. We sat down somewhere for lunch and I tried Fufu for the first and last time. Fufu, Banku, Teesed (however you spell it) are all similar and similarly inedible for me. It's made of mashed up cassava or plantain or some grain etc and boiled to the consistency of mucus. It's plopped into a bowl, covered with a soup or gravy and eaten with your fingers. The taste isn't so bad, but the texture makes me gag. I try to have an open mind about things, but this stuff is far too revolting.

We all took a stroll down Oxford Street which has several shops that cater to a foreign crowd. While waiting for a girl in our group outside of Barclay's bank, I was approached by some street vendor calling himself Baby Rasta. He asked me where I was from and when I said New Orleans he got excited and said Oh yeah, like Lil' Wayne. And that's when I noticed he had the exact same facial tattoos as Lil Wayne. I shit you not. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment