Friday, November 12, 2010

SYTO organized a tiny van to take 13 of us and our luggage to our projects far in the north. I was pretty pissed off. I've never been so cramped. We were all piled on top of each other and covered in bags and suitcases. We couldn't change cars until we got to Kumasi which we were told would only take four hours. We were told the trip all together would take nine hours. It took us nearly seven hours to get to Kumasi because our van broke down in the middle of nowhere because why the hell not. Between the heat, and the cramped quarters, and the lack of sleep, the entire day feels like some sort of fever dream. We finally made it to Tamale 15 hours later. I joked with the others and said that it was the longest 9 hour drive I had ever been on. Our first stop was a restaurant called Sparkles located at the Cultural Center. I had a couple spring rolls. Then we were off to our hotel Al Hassan for the night. I didn't know it then, but I'd take my last real shower there. I shared a room with a girl named Synne from Norway. I've never been near anyone who tossed so much in her sleep! I nearly jumped out of my skin in the middle of the night when she plopped one of her legs on me in her sleep. Between Synne and the lack of AC, I didn't really sleep much that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment